Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kaurilands 13.06.010

Very happy with how Willie went, and also quite pleased with the improvement in my riding.

Thanks to Wendy, I have been learning to use my legs before my hands, and to allow the horses to move more freely forward rather than getting tentative and applying the handbrake in varying degrees.

I am trying to ride Willie in the same manner that Wendy has been teaching me to ride Sampson, and at home I can definitely feel him starting to loosen up and swing more from behind.
Time to put it to the test with a competition.

First test, he warmed up ok despite the wet and sloppy puddles in the sand arena. Both tests were on the grass and although perhaps getting slightly slippery, it wasnt enough to concern me.

He went very very kindly in both tests and I tried to concentrate on carrying my hands and simply engaging his hind end so he was working forward into the contact.

Second test he did start to get a little strong towards the end, and perhaps run into my hand a little, but not too bad.

First test:
71.25% for first place

Second test:
75.76% for second place

So very pleased with the wee lad.

No comments: