Sunday, August 3, 2008

Final Kaurilands Dressage Day


Surprisingly, given the weather forecasts warning of yet more heavy rain, the day was mostly fine, and even sunny at times.

Even more surprisingly, due to the fact that Willie has not been ridden since last weekends XC clinic, and has been on green grass since, he was very well behaved. None of the expected bucks, and indeed he even managed a 5th in his 2.6 test, and won his 3.4 on 61% (with 7's for all his canter work).

Perhaps the secret to dressage is simply not to do any!

I do wonder if I usually try to hard, and/or get very tense and determined to 'show them what he can do' and that results in a score somewhat lower than he is capable of?
He works so nicely at home, and does all the movements well (apart from medium trot which we still struggle with - I just dont think a good medium trot is in his reportoir) and then I go out to compete determined to do well, and he gets tense and reacts to me. Today I expected him to buck, and basically go badly, but he did all the movements well including walk to canter, simple changes, canter serpentines, travers.

nb. Whoever forgot to remind me to take the pillows out from under my jacket is fired! (how flattering - NOT!)

No comments: