Tuesday, July 8, 2008

SJ Clinic with Vaughn Jefferis


Our first day (yesterday) was cold wet and miserable, although once riding one didnt seem to notice the rain so much.
Willie went very well, and was his usual good self. I have to admit to being a bit disappointed however, as we jumped pretty small jumps and I didnt feel I actually achieved much.

Today however, was a bit better and I was quite pleased with how I rode. Again Willie went well. But more importantly I really felt that the work and effort in trying to get more weight down through my heels is making a lot of difference. My leg is more stable, which is making me feel more confident and in turn I ride better and don't get anxious. OK, we're yet to see if I can maintain it when the jumps do get big, but for now I am very happy. Particularly when Vaughn commented that today was the best he has ever seen me ride - so I must be doing something right!

We did some grid work, some related distances and also roll backs (I need to keep looking ahead). Also had a couple of comments about how great Willie was, and what a dude he was. Even Vaughn said he had been a great 'old' horse for me. Because I have had Willie for so long, he didnt realise he was only ten.

Can't wait for my next jumping outing - whether its another lesson or a competition.

Photos taken by the wonderful Kate Peddie

No comments: