Friday, July 18, 2008

XC Lesson WEC






Popped over a few show jumps at home yesterday (95-100 ish) ; still working hard to keep weight down in my heels, but Saarin tells me that I am now lifting my hands again....one day I'll get both ends of my body to behave at the same time!

Today we went out to the WEC for a XC lesson with Gina. Started by popping over a few show jumps with all going well.

Did some warm up jumps and up and down the banks, then on to the water. Initially it felt to me like Willie was approaching far too quickly (although truth be known he was probably doing a slow canter!) and I took a pull, but I eventually just sat and trusted him and he jumped in far more smoothly. Then it was over the big log into the water...eeeek; but Willie looked after me. I am working hard to slip my reins and lean back, having gotten into the habit of leaning forward into water over the last ten years or so.

We then made our way up the hill to the little trakener (at this stage I was getting wary that I would be expected to jump the big one - not something I was about to let happen if I could help it!).

Willie jumped the training trakener well, and I felt like I was riding positively and was not in the least anxious about that one. Kit also jumped it for the first time, so Saarin was thrilled with him.
Then onto the big ditch for Willie - again not a problem.

Then after some persuasion, I found myself approaching the big trakener, but I was really not committed to jumping it at all. One stride out and I did the unthinkable - it wasn't that I just sat like a prune doing nothing (had I done so he would simply have popped over it); No, I felt compelled to actively pull the reins and stop him in front of it. Poor confused Willie.

I then tried to convice Gina that I really was not ready to jump it, but she wasnt having a bar of it (not even me being near to tears worked). I was still not really convinced, but I also knew that it was simply not fair to Willie to pull him up in front of a jump. Despite my reservations and still approaching with a lack of real conviction, we did actually get over it - it wasnt pretty, but we did it!

I love my pony!
And despite my arguments, thanks to Gina for persevering with me.

Then finished off over an easy chevron (just a sit and point exercise with Willie).

Synopsis: There is no reason not to trust Willie, sit, kick and TRUST HIM to do his job. I have trained him well (yes, I have done something right) and he is more than capable.

Thanks to Justine for taking such wonderful photos - what an excellent way to see what one is doing wrong (and right of course) and WTF were my hands doing way up round my ears coming into the water??

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Very cool photo's Fiona!! Crikey your brave!!