Sunday, September 14, 2008

Taupo Training Trials





Not the auspicious start we would have liked to the Season!

Did an ok dressage test, relaxed and obediant, and for once didnt get tense at Taupo. Scored 70% so can't be too disappointed with that.









Show jumping
Very slippery and he did lose his back end around most corners...I rode him a lot more forward, and put on the brakes as well as the prickles, which definitely made a difference. I did however relax on the last jump (the "dreaded" double) and he took advantage. I then lost my stirrup and simply could not find it, so will have racked up squillions of time faults in addition to the stop. But hey - I got around and I DID NOT FALL OFF!

Cross country
I thought it was quite a technical course, especially for greenies. The second half of the course was also very twisty turny and quite difficult to get into a rhythm.
Two jumps in particular I thought were a bit unfair on young horses. They had a roll top barely one stride from the water and a little dog kennel again just one stride from the two banks down.

The first jump was a lovely jump but maximum height, which I thought was a little silly. Willy of course flew it and then started being a pratt round the rest of the course when he realised the jumps were all smaller than the first one.
Spooked badly at the blue tarpaulin they had put under the baby trakener!
I rode the roll top before the water very cautiously and even then we ONLY JUST fitted a stride before the water. One green horse actually bounced it (along with bouncing the rider into the water!)

Willy also spooked at the kennel before the banks.

At the bounce option I was still having problems with the turning and brakes, so I am afraid I simply missed out the second jump and carried on (Willie had sighted the next jump and I just couldnt turn him away). Ummm ended up with a score and not an "E" though - how strange!

Although it wasnt the prettiest of weekends, I will still aim at pre-novice for Te Rapa - it will be interesting to see if I find Willie easier to ride with the bigger jumps (he normally is, and is often dreadful to ride training especially if he has had a bigger start).

No comments: