Friday, March 13, 2009

Show Jumping - 14.03.09

Now that Kit has gone, and I no longer have to fund Saarin's riding, I am going to make sure that I have REGULAR lessons.

Had my first show jump lesson with Wendy yesterday, and we worked on keeping the rhythm into a fence (using very small jumps), and WAITING for the jump. It felt quite strange, and I tried very hard to sit up more, and not go for the long one. Willie was actually very good, and was very soft to ride, but it is going to take some getting used to coming into a fence without him grabbing hold and going for it (and of course then sometimes deciding last minute to stop). Hopefully also, if I can get into the habit of sitting up more, then if he stops I will be less likely to go splat.

Today, I had planned on doing two small rounds so that I could practice sitting up, keeping the rhythm and waiting for the jump.

80cm...Although he did throw a cheeky one in at the double (guess he couldnt resist, and I wasnt exactly using my legs), I did feel like I was sitting more in the saddle, a little less tipped, and waiting for the jumps. One person did say I should be very pleased with how I rode it, so that's all good.

90cm.... Hmmmm, fine over the first few, then he (again) threw in a naughty stop, and proceeded to nap!! ... I am afraid after that my newly found position went out the window and I rode him somewhat more akin to my old style....however we did go clear over the rest including the double.

One other thing I found funny today, is that he napped both times going into the ring, and when I came out after the 90 he was very on his tippy toes, dancing sideways.

No comments: