Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Season Summary

Not a very inspiring Spring season.

Starting with a nasty stone bruise two days after the training trial, giving him his first start Pre Novice some time later, which although not totally disastrous, could have been better.

Waerenga, proceeded to get ready for cross country only to actually chicken out of the XC. There were a couple of jumps I just did not like, and then I saw a capable rider fall off at one of them, and that was it for me. Silly really not to give it a go because of only a very small proportion of the course.

Richfields....this time was all set to go. He had been standing in the stinking hot hot sun since 8.30, and his dressage was well after 4.00. However, he starting jumping about when he saw the XC flags and the jumps as we went passed them, so all good signs.
Pretty good dressage to finish in top third of the field.

Next day, he had another day standing tied to the truck again in the hot sun from early until mid afternoon. Got on to warm up, and .... nothing....basically had no horse left under me. Really had to ride to even get over the practice jump - normally one sight of it and he goes for it. Disappointed as I had really liked the course when I walked it. However, with me not being an aggressive rider, I did not feel it would be sensible to start - Willie just didnt want to do it. I think if XC had been the day before we would have been fine.

Normally in Summer, after Christmas when the weather heats up, is when I start him on twice daily feeds with sweetfeed, but obviously he really needed the energy food to work on this Spring with it being hotter.

My Show Jumping outings also didnt exactly run to plan, with him pulling a shoe before even getting into the ring at one outing.

At the next, I had one NAUGHTY pony stop in the 90, another sudden stop in the meter (which decanted me), and I have to admit, LOTS of horses were stopping at that jump. And Frank rode him in the 1.05 for no stops - yep; he continues to take the Mickey out of me!

No comments: