Saturday, July 18, 2009

WEC Winter Show Jumping - 19.07.09

Despite it blowing a gale, and being very squally, I decided to brave it, and put our new found confidence to the test.

It was actually not bad down there, and I dont think it rained at all, and was definitely not as windy there as here at home.

I had entered the 90 and meter classes.
Willie warmed up fine, (albeit grumping at any horse that dared to venture near to him). He jumped fine, and his one wee back off moment never amounted to anything (maybe because I didnt tumble forward and do my usual flappy arm thing?).
He likewise jumped well in the jump off, and I was right that he had been relatively quick as he got 3rd.

In the meter, he also jumped well.
However, I fell back into old habits on a roll back type turn into an oxer to a related distance one stride double. I tipped forward on the turn, and basically let his arse end fall out behind him. Yes, he could have jumped it quite easily, but decided not to.

He bounced around having stopped (yes, he knows when he has been naughty), and I proceded to ride the line correctly. He then really backed off the double, and I think had I not been really sitting upright and in behind him, he probably would have stopped. I was absolutely wrapt with myself for remaining calm, staying up (and jamming my spurs onto him)...he obviously felt there was no option but to jump, so that was great for my confidence.

So just the one stop, which I can live with.

The 1.05 looked eminently jumpable, and so I will enter that one for next time also - and hope my increasing confidence stands the test!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Woohoo!! Well done you :0)

Mel Baker said...

Awesome Fiona!! Well done :)