Friday, November 13, 2009

Hmmmm

Well; all going great in jumping lessons. Jumping much bigger than I will meet in Pre novice and he is doing it well. Basically jumping at Novice height.

Waerenga Horse trials, he simply lost the plot dressage. He has been VERY spooky and silly which is quite out of character for him....(he is on toxin binders and mag so not sure it is the grass??). However, he was extremely tense and uptight and doing sewing machine trot with neck up like a goose. I was unable to put my leg on him without him packing a tanty and exploding (which of course he did at canter transition). Scored a grand total of 47% for last place (almost unheard of for him).

SHow jumping he was a bit silly to start at practice jump (hooned at it, then spooked, backed off and did a stupid jump), but I worked through it till he felt fine. Went in, and I dont know what happened...maybe I froze and sat like a chook, I really dont know cos I thought the jumps looked pretty small....however, he stopped twice at first jump, belted him over and he backed off and slammed on anchors at number 2 (an easy peasy upright)...left ring and he flew practice jump, so I must be doing something (or not doing it).

Stewed on SJ overnight and decided to pop him around training XC even though I know he isnt the greatest to ride at that level having had a start bigger. Oh boy: he was AWFUL....ran through the bit, charged at the jumps then spooked and backed off and if he jumped it was a dreadful jump....he actually spooked and snorted at the bank (all of about knee height!)...at a few in the middle I felt myself get into the tippy forward thing, then got back out of it again. Made him trot over a couple, and actually they were probably the only jumps he made enough effort over not to clobber!

Not a very inspiring confidence building ride for me....(thankfully I know he is easier to ride when the jumps get bigger)

So: NEED to get my SJ shit together....I think it is a case of overcoming 'exam nerves', so is a matter of getting out there and doing show jumping till I really dont give a shit.

Planned to do training at Woodhill to start work on conquering SJ competition nerves....drove up Friday. Tried to take him for a ride, he trod on a stone and hobbled for a few steps (a la Willie)...he was still very spooky. Rode him in the sand arena...and he was fine on the left rein, but as soon as I changed to the right he was lame. Did some left canter and he was fine...right canter definitely OFF.

Put him away hoping it would resolve overnight.

No such luck....rode him out this morning and as soon as I trotted to the right on the sand he was sore, although OK to the left. So scratched before even doing my dressage....grrrr.

I had wondered if it was muscular, but the man looked at him and was very impressed with his muscles...said he was obviously fit and worked regularly....said his muscles were lovely and hard (no sign of any problems at all)....little bit of puffiness above fetlock joint, although no pulse....so looking like a foot problem....that stone he trod on could well be the problem.

Let us hope he comes right in time for Show jumping next weekend at Leamington - that's the thing I really need to be doing.

As an aside, having walked two thirds of the training XC, there would be very little point in doing training there with Willie - it was basically pre training, and very very small. However, I think the SJ tends to be maximum.

Ok....let us see what the week brings....grrrr; but I guess that's horses for you.

No comments: