Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lucinda Green Clinic - 17.01.010

Second Day

Cross country proper; rather than in the arena with show jumps.

To start with (having warmed up over whatever jumps we wanted to), we were to WALK up one step. Then to walk down one step, then two, three and finally four. The object again being, once the horse has started down, become 'rag dolls', get in behind the movement and LEAVE THEM ALONE. (And for someone who is a 'tilter', I wouldnt have believed I even could get my shoulders back....pleased to see that although it looks 'unco' I did manage to do just that! - there's hope for me yet.)

If a horse questioned however, then of course one must remind them to go forward.

Then onto the relatively big, open ditch - thankfully shallow. Again, walk up to it, and just leave the horse to work it out himself. Some went in and out, some bumbled though, and some (including Willie) clattered, and fell through it! VERY hard to sit still and leave them alone.
Next time around however, willie just walked up to it and jumped it - he learnt very quickly that that was the easiest option.

(Unfortunately however, he did manage to pull a hind shoe clambering through on his previous attempt)

We were then allowed to trot over it, which was fine.

Next, we were to walk up a bank, then walk off the 'down' bit of it, which just happened to have a ditch on the landing side. I really didnt think it would happen, but Willie just looked at it and jumped.....he was really showing some courage - again, I wonder if it was because he was becoming confident that I wouldnt tip forward or interfere.

Then it was skinnies (using yesterday's SJ's), the first being on the lip of a hill (YUK) and the second off to the left at the bottom.

They all did it really well, and again when it was a right hand turn also.

Then a bit of a course oncorporating, a skinny to a down bank to another skinny, a trakener, a rampy thing and a small oxer thing, and a downhill log. Willie felt really really good, and likewise I was able to resist tipping.

Unfortunately I was very concerned about his shoe-less foot which was quite broken, and I know it was worrying him. I elected to not do the next course of jumps, saving him for the water - although I almost changed my mind.

However, walking through the river just about did him in I am afraid; the grit and rocks were I am sure quite painful for him.

Although he jumped in and out of the water a few times, he was distinctly sore, and so I had to finish there.

Both Willie and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and I was also very pleased with his fitness. Even though I have been just ticking him over, he was pretty fit still.

Now to put it all into practice in the coming Autumn eventing season.

No comments: