Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rotorua Horse Trial - 27/28 Feb 2010

Yay: actually got to an Autumn Horse Trial.

I had entered Pre Novice despite my ongoing show jumping phobia.
Just have to keep getting out there and trying, and continue to work on my mental fixations at home.
Having dropped him to training for a XC run during Spring, and finding he was just DREADFUL to ride, there is nothing for it but to persevere.

Dressage was ok; nothing flash, but nothing grotesque....I think the judges sum up says it all..."obedient horse - accepting. Calm test - more enthusiasm would enhance"

Show jumping didnt look too bad, although both doubles had spooky fillers in the oxer in, and one was in the shade. However, didnt start too well with a STUPID stop at the first...I think I just kind of cruised into it. NEED to rark myself up before the start flags, so he thinks I mean business. So with that stop, then one at the shady oxer, that left the final life which was used up two jumps from home;....yep, the second spooky oxer. Oh well, if I am going to take something positive out of it, it is that I didnt tilt, didnt fall off, and didnt do the 'oh shit' thing.

Cross country. Nice course, quite a big double at number three, and rather a wide fan jump out the back. A couple of silly stops where basically I was trying to get him back together too late before the jump, and so was fiddling on approach rather than having done the preparation in plenty of time, and then RIDDEN to the jump.

However, he jumped everything fine, and was great over the second half of the course ... was even better after the water, which could possibly have something to do with the fact that I gave him a wee hit on approach to the water.

So, disappointing not to properly complete, but regardless I still feel we (I) am making progress.

No comments: