Thursday, October 22, 2009

Taupo; the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly




Well, despite some threats in the weather department, Taupo was actually not too bad weather wise - definitely bare-able; even down to a t-shirt walking the x-country.

Dressage: Willie did another of his calm and obedient tests, but just not very inspiring. The judge did comment "kind horse".
He only scored 54% (46 penalty) which I was quite disappointed with, as his test was fine. He ended up about middle of the field.

Show jumping: when we walked it, I have to admit that it looked very small....enough so for us to wonder if it was set up for training. However, it didnt ride particularly well, with only one rider in our whole ring going clear!

The whole course was related lines off of the corner....and I just don't do corners particualrly well. And yes, I managed again to 'trickle' around the corner (you know how one has to be so careful not to slip on corners!) , and arrive at the jump with basically nothing for poor Willie to jump from. .... "thank you", says he!!

So; stopped at number 1 (although not sure how I achieved that), and then twice at number 6a (yes; the double...and it was off a corner....added to which it was an *gulp* oxer)...grrrr

Now for the good; I did feel that I was sitting up a bit better, but still need to ensure he is up off his forehand and RIDE him through the corners....also...(another good bit) I DID NOT fall off!

Cross Country: Taupo have done an immense amount of work since the training trials, and have virtually built a whole new course.
Beautifully built jumps, although a little intimidated as the course was a pretty bold one.

Willie warmed up great: was even really nappy going to the start box, which is a good sign with him. Unfortunately, there was then quite a hold up as a horse and rider had fallen at the log combination at number 4, 5 & 6. By the time we went, he had really gone off the boil.

However, jumped the first couple ok.

Number 3 was a shark tooth thingy, on the lip of a drop (eeeeewww; I also dont 'do' drops). I somehow managed to lose focus on my approach - the fact that I was distinctly aware of someone walking a little dog is a hint as to my lack of committment at that point. However, I pulled myself together and got over it next attempt.

He then proceeded to spook and shy at everything on the way to the log combination. Despite him backing off and being really quite sticky, I was determined and we got through the quick route without penalty. Interesting that I was so focussed and committed, I failed to notice all the people gathered at that jump, my friend or her vehicle.

THAT is what I need to be like on approach to every jump.

The next jump was HUGE, with a horrible approach. It was a bit sloping table thing, but there was a tree in the way, so you only had about two good strides to it. Willie had virtually no impulsion and somehow! popped over it. (it was up to my waist, and a decent spread).

I am afraid I bowed out and retired at the next big combination. It was an oxer (gulp) two strides to a shark tooth drop. Not bad jumps, but he was spooking and backing off, and I really didnt feel I was committed enough - perhaps it was the result of the big effort he had to make at the previous spread?? Anyway, I decided to leave it for another day.

Hopefully we can get it right at Rotorua.

No comments: