Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wet, Wet and more Wet

I had been really looking forward to Te Rapa Horse Trials, and felt "ready" to tackle it.

The Saturday was actually lovely weather, even though there had been horrendous amounts of rain leading up to the event.

For this trial, to enable the group to fit all the dressage tests in, everybody BUT us show jumped on the Saturday. This meant that for the pre-novice, our show jumping was to be held between 8.30 and 10.30 Sunday morning.

And wouldnt you know it; the rain was absolute torrential all night.

I got up with the alarm, and then I am afraid having looked at the black skies and read the weather forecast (heavy rain all day), I went back to bed. I really did not relish the thought of getting wet early in the day and then getting another soaking late in the day (we were last to run xc).

I did feel some modicum of guilt, which rapidly evaporated when I looked at the results and saw that only a third of pre novice riders completed.

Still, very disappointing.

So now we have Taupo this weekend, and to be honest, I really dont feel as well prepared as I had for Te Rapa, having done very little jumping. Oh well; SURELY the weather has to be better than it was for Te Rapa (or have I put the kaibosh on it by even suggesting it couldnt be worse?)

No comments: